Personal Injury

Personal Injury

Personal Injury

Your health means everything: the ability to work, to care for your family, to enjoy your life. A sudden accident or injury can destroy your health and devastate your life. It can leave you in constant pain and destroy your ability to work and provide for your loved ones.

After a sudden injury, you just want your life back. My job is to help you achieve that as far as possible. An attorney can’t take away your pain or shorten your physical recovery. But I can help to make sure you get the financial compensation you deserve.

Houston Car and Motorcycle Accident Injury Attorney

When you have been injured in an accident, you are in pain. You may have received a lot of medical treatment, and you are worried about how you are going to pay those bills, especially when you can’t work and you still need to pay rent or mortgage, utilities, car payments, and feed your family.

It’s usually at this point that an insurance company for the person who injured you offers you a settlement. You need the money, and you don’t want to go through more stress; you just want to get back to normal. But taking that settlement could be a big mistake.

When you accept an insurance company’s settlement, you give up your right to seek more compensation in the future. The insurance company doesn’t work for you. It works for its shareholders, who only make money when the company pays out as little as possible to injured people like you. No matter how nice the insurance agent seems, they are not on your side.

You need someone who is, especially when you are in pain and vulnerable. Never sign any agreement or settlement without consulting with an attorney who can stand up for you and protect your rights. If you have been injured in a car or motorcycle accident, contact Bashirah Martin.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Choose a Business Entity?

The type of business entity you choose will depend on how many owners the business has, potential exposure to liability, and how you want to pay taxes on the business. Available business entities include C corporations, S corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies. If you own the business by yourself, you can run it as a sole proprietorship.

It’s best to discuss the pros and cons of each type of business entity with a business law attorney who understands your circumstances and goals and can direct you to the form that is right for you (as well as preparing the documents needed to establish your business and register it with the state).

Do I Need an Employer Identification Number for My Business?

You may be able to avoid getting an employer identification number (EIN) for your business if you have a sole proprietorship or a single-member limited liability company (LLC), but most businesses need to have an EIN, which functions as a tax identification number with the IRS. Your business uses this number to file tax returns, open business bank accounts, and apply for various licenses. If you are not required to have an EIN, you may be able to use your Social Security number, but this may expose you to identity theft. It’s better to obtain an EIN for your business; your attorney can help you with the process.

What is the Difference Between an Employee and an Independent Contractor?

Whether someone who does work for your business is an employee or an independent contractor depends on the level of control your business exercises over the relationship. For instance, can your business control what the worker does and how they do their job? Does your business reimburse the worker’s expenses, or provide tools and supplies? Does your business offer the worker a retirement plan, vacation pay, insurance, or other benefits? Does the worker perform similar work for other businesses, or only for your business?

Whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor makes a difference from a legal and tax standpoint. Employment and labor laws do not apply to a worker who is an independent contractor, and no taxes are withheld from an independent contractor’s pay. Employees, on the other hand, have Social Security, Medicare, and income taxes withheld from their pay.

Do I Need an Estate Plan for My Business?

Yes, you do! Planning for a business after the death or retirement of an owner is called succession planning, and it is essential to making sure the business is successful after a smooth transition to the new owner. If you have put a lot of effort and resources into building your business, don’t let it all go to waste by failing to plan—especially if you want the business to keep providing for your family after you’re gone.

For More Information

Contact us to discuss your legal issue and learn how we can accomplish your goals and protect your interests.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.